|Kirkintilloch, Glasgow, G66 3PE|
|Tel: 0141 766 3788|
|Webpage: Carmelite Nuns Kirkintilloch||Webpage: Carmelite Nuns|
The Carmel in Kirkintilloch was founded in June 1953 from the Carmel in Langside, Glasgow, at the request of the Archbishop of the time who was concerned at the heavy ‘leakage’ of Catholics in the area on the north side of Glasgow. He wished for the presence of a Carmel there, praying specially for this intention. Over the years the countryside round about has gradually become more built up, and the Carmel is now in every way very close to the local community of two parishes.
As with all Carmels, our life is based on prayer deepened by silence and
solitude, lived in a small family community. In addition to the usual
work involved in running a household - housework, cooking, gardening etc.
- we try to support ourselves with our printing work - different types
of commercial work, greetings cards - and also some craftwork - knitting,
needlework, soft toys.
Our Carmelite life in Kirkintilloch is strengthened and supported by our bonds with other Carmels here in Britain in the Association of Carmelite Nuns, and throughout the world by our links with the whole Order of Carmel.