HISTORY SAINTS RETREATS BOOKS MOUNT CARMEL LINKS

 

Kensington
 
Carmelite Priory
41 Kensington Church Street London
W8 4BB
Telephone: (020) 7937 9866
Fax: (020) 7938 1470

England Archdiocese of Westminister
Kensington Founded: August 15. 1862

Webpage: Carmelite Friars Kensington
 
At the invitation of Cardinal Wiseman, the Discalced Carmelites made a foundation in Kensington in August 1862.
Their beautiful church, designed by Pugin, was dedicated by Cardinal Manning on July 16, 1866.
This church, with the top floor of the adjoining priory, was completely destroyed by incendiary bombs on the night of Quinquagesima Sunday, February 20, 1944.
The priory, having suffered considerable water damage, was again struck by incendiaries on the night of March 11th. By mid-June a chapel to seat 300 people was formed in the priory by modifying the ground floor area.
The community were to minister there until 1960 when the new Church. designed by Sir Giles Scott, was opened by Cardinal Godfrey on January 31.
Cardinal Heenan requested the Fathers to accept the surrounding parish in 1966.
 
 
Community:
Fr. Robert Davies, OCD. Prior
Fr. John Williamson, OCD. Sub Prior
Fr. Fabian McCormack, OCD.
Fr. Silvester Itodo, OCD